Thursday, March 5, 2009

Another meeting...UPDATED

I once again have a meeting with deshawns school. I get so sick of these meetings. I like to know how he is doing but to me that's what parent teacher conference is for. This meeting is about his classification. He has been classified as developmentally delayed but after I had his doctor from primary childrens give them paperwork on his diagnosis of PDD-NOS they need to change things at the school. I am not quite sure exactly what this means as far as his services go but his teacher was saying that children with the diagnosis developmental delay stop getting services or services change at 7 years old but if they are in other classifications the services are different. I will find out today all of my questions about that.

I will update when I get back from that meeting.


UPDATE:
I went to Deshawns meeting and all went well. We basically just had to sign some papers and they said that things won't change for him but by changing his classification It will help all of his teachers and service providers to be able to understand his situation better and they will know more how to be able to treat his behaviours and what not. If he were to stay under the classification of developmental delay when he turns 7 then they basically would have to drop any classification. What that means I'm not sure but now that his classification has changed we don't have to worry about that at all.

2 comments:

Hillary Hall said...

I was classified as 504 going through school for some things I had. This stayed with me until high school even. I had several things I was allowed to do that were written up in my 504 plan that other kids didn't have. I don't remember now how you go about doing this (I should totally know this but I don't. sorry!) but it might be something to look into. Kayla would be a great resource though.

Deb Williams said...

mel has any one told you that you are a great mom!!! I just wanted to incase you havent heard it lately. watching you go through some of the obsticle you have to go through with your kiddies...you handle it amasingly!!! I think you rock!