Friday, June 1, 2007

A day at the park




Well today started out really relaxed. It was the first day of summer break and we all just slowly peeled ourselves out of bed. We sat around in our pj's until almost noon and then my sister called and invited us to the park for a playdate.

So we went to the park. I have never actually been to this one and the kids thought it was just great that we weren't going to the same old park we usually go to. The had alot of fun. Then it was time to leave. Well for those of you who know me know the son that I adopted has some OCD issues. He had brought a toy along with him and had set it down somewhere and was having a total breakdown because I couldn't find it. This particular son is also non-verbal so I cannot just simply ask him to tell me where it is. Due to the total breakdown and his lets say not so great behavior there was no way he was about to show me where he put it. Needless to say by the time I gave up and we walked to the car he was in a full on temper tantrum. Mind you he is waaaaaaay to old to be acting like this (he is the 4 1/2 year old) so people are staring at me like what the hell is wrong with you lady. I only wish everyone could understand what he is like before they make the stare down eyes at me. Anyway he was screaming so hard I couldn't even pull out of the parking stall. So while my other kids were screaming because they couldn't stand his screaming I got out of the car and pulled him out. You should have seen the glares by now. But keep in my mind I thought If I can pull him away from the situation he would maybe calm down enough that I could try to talk to him. No I was very very wrong. He was still in hysterics so I decided to walk around to the drivers seat and just get in and shut the door. In turn he followed me and stood by my door and just screeeeeeeeemmmmmmeeed. What should I have done? Finally my sister could hear all the commotion when she was getting her kids in her car. Can I say she was a lifesaver. She came over and told him if he didn't stop crying that he was going home with her. And what do you know it worked. Amazing!!


He is such a special little blessing in our lives. He can melt you in a second with just his smile. He is super sweet but sometimes when he struggles with the communication issues he can be uncontrollable. I love him so much and it hurts me so much to see him struggling. The main reason we adopted him (aside from the fact we wanted another child and was having fertility issues) was because we thought it would be great to give this little guy a good stable family so he could have the best chances in life. I feel we have failed him in some way. I know there is nothing we could have done to change things for him but it is heartbreaking to see him so frustrated.
I posted a picture above of my little tantrum guy. Look at that cute face who could stay mad at that.






No comments: