Thursday, February 26, 2009

10 year old drama

Where do I begin. I am so frustrated with my 10 year old right now. I feel like everything has to be a fight with him. I am absolutely terrified for his teen years. He actually had the nerve to get right up in my face and yell at me this morning. All I wanted to do is backhand the little stinker. Seriously though
he fights us on everything his chores his homework pretty much anything we ask of him. His attitude really stinks right now. He doesn't want anyone telling him what to do. This morning ended up with him barely making it to school with only 2 bites of breakfast in him all because he chose to fight me all morning over whether or not I would let him eat his breakfast in his room. While I don't usually allow them to eat in their rooms I have allowed it at times but last night one of the kids spilled something in their room and Rick and I decided that we needed to make a new rule to not allow anymore eating in their rooms. Well Adam informed me that he can do whatever he wants and that the rules evidently don't apply to him because he is older. So all morning he stood in the kitchen with his plate of food staring at me with the "evil" eye while I was trying to get deshawn fed and ready for school.

After Deshawn was ready and off on his bus Adam informs me that he is not going to school. I told him he is going to school even if he has to go hungry and in his pjs. That's another thing he has already missed 1 1/2 days of school this week telling me he is sick when he really isn't. Thing is the kids is a great actor. I honestly thought he was sick yesterday but come the afternoon miracles happened and he was miraculously cured. He knows how to play me bad.

The thing I don't understand is that he is really a sweet boy. But for some reason lately he has been so defiant. He has even got right up into Rick's face before. Have you seen Rick he is 6ft 2in. I would have never treated my parents the way he is treating us. I can't figure out if it is just pre teen crap or if there is something really going on with him.

Any advice?

5 comments:

Shanda said...

Tell him your going to call Uncle James LOL. What a stinker. Take away his T.V. or is very favorite thing before he gets home from school. It works for Ash but she only 4.

Jeanna GT said...

With Josie, I honestly just cut her off from EVERYTHING. I hate doing that because it makes me feel like I'm not loving her, but she tends to get the picture after a while...sometimes she acts like she doesn't care but eventually she gets it. I overly compensate Chloe for doing good things...Jos starts to realize she needs a little TLC and behaves...even if it is only for a week or so, you can just start it all over again...

The Losee Family said...

I know exactly what you are going through. I take away Sky's computer time, video games and T.V. And he only gets them back one at a time starting with in a week or so. It seems to work for awhile but I am 2 years ahead of you and he is wanting more and more time away from his parents to go hang out with friends at the movies and stuff and that right there for me is the ticket no friends. Works every time!!! All I can say is GOOD LUCK!

Deb Williams said...

the only other thing i can say is stick to your guns! as long as you are consistant they get the picture and know the bounderies. kids test their limits all through life and as long as you keep the bounderies firm He always know that he isnt going to win and get what he wants. It sucks but you want him to learn that laws are laws and we can't always get waht we want.

I dont envy you and how hard it can be. I have that to look forward too...yippeee!!! I love you guys and i will keep you in my prays...and he is a good loving kid...we all know that!

Merr said...

Oh man I really do not like reading these stories. I am so scared to have teenagers. I know how to handle little kids, but I do not do well with teenagers! God help us all! If you find something that works, make sure to let us all know!