Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The work never ends

So we started putting up a much needed fence in our yard. We have had a hodgepodge of different fences in our back yard. We have had barbed wire. wood. chain link and some other kinds of fence that is like chicken wire. We have a ditch that runs the whole length of the back yard that has caused me to have near nervous breakdowns with the little ones.

So we decided it was time to put one up after owning the house for 9 1/2 years. So we decided to go with a wood fence. I would have loved to do vinyl but for the area we live in it is not a wise investment. So it took us all weekend to get the posts set. Saturday was great weather but sunday was cold and miserable but we had to keep working through it.

So I have to mention this because it ruffled my feathers a little. So we decided not to ask our neighbors to split the cost of the fence. I figure we all now what the proper etiquette is when it comes to fence building. You should split the cost of the fence but I figure if they can then they will offer to help or at least offer to help with the labor. Okay here is the part that bothers me the most. My neighbors have a chain link fence that runs the lenght of their back yard. When Rick was digging the holes he started from the front yard and ended in the back so there is about a foot difference from the wood fence to the neighbors chain link. Well our neighbors actually had the nerve to whine about how the two don't meet up. Well my opinion is #1 if your not going to help then keep your mouth shut and #2 if you aren't paying for it you don't have a say. End of story! It's not like they can't go down to the hardware store and get the wood or chain link to fix the gap. I mean we are talking hardley any effort on their part to fix it.

I may sound selfish or hard but I really don't think that they have a right to complain when we are out busting our butts and spending thousands of dollars to put this fence up. I think part of me is a little defensive because last summer my neighbors other neighbors put up a fence on their side and asked for them to split the cost and they didn't because their neighbors never pushed the issue. That is something my neighbor told me out of their own mouths. So I knew they were a little shady so that is why we decided not to even ask them because we didn't want any awkwardness. Even though I am feeling a little awkward about them anyway.

Silly me I know, but people are just not honest anymore. If it were me and Rick in this situation we would have at the least offered to help with the labor. If we couldn't help out financially then we would try to work something out because that is just who we are. So do you all think I am being a biotch? I am a little PMS right now so maybe I am being a biotch.

Anyway thanks for listening to my rants!!!

1 comment:

Deb Williams said...

I think they are jerks for saying something like that! I think that you have every right to be bugged...sounds like you need to keep your distance witht hose neighbors~!