Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Advice needed!

Okay people I am at a loss here. Okay I guess I better start this by explaining that my dog was in heat a month or 2 ago and well (you know where I am going with this) the little tramp got out about 5 weeks ago and rick found her one morning across the street flirting with two other dogs and well we think she may be preggo.

Okay so me and Rick are obviously not very happy because they will not be purebred puppies and we know it can be hard to find good homes for them. So hopefully if she is preggo we will be able to find homes for them. Anyway my problem is my son Adam who is almost 10 has been asking "Questions" about how, what, where and why. I have never had "THE TALK" with him yet and I am not quite sure when it is an appropriate age to have "THE TALK" either. I think I have answered the questions he has had enough to satisfy him for now. But he keeps saying he is confused and isn't understanding things. UUHHHGG!! I am not ready for him to know these things yet but I also don't want him confused and drawing his own conclusions either. What do you all think? I really need some advice here because this all new to me and I don't want to screw my kid up any worse than I already have :)

10 comments:

The Losee Family said...

I dont know when a good time is to have "THE TALK" but for us it was a good time when Skyler went through the maturation program in
5th grade. We gave him vague answers to his questions tell then. He was satisfied until he went through the program. And still we have not went into alot of details, but enough that an 11 years old could understand. But in the mean time I think its what you are comfortable with telling him at this time. I know from my experience they will eventually start talking about it with their friends and I want Skyler to have the right information and not the information you know boys at this age are going to come up with on their own(scary).

Deb Williams said...

the queston is where do you really want him to get his info from? If he is asking you that is a good sign and you have the chance to tell him the truth before he goes to other kids to figure it out and gets information you might not want him to know. I think as long as your approach is that it is for when he is married and in love with his wife and that it is how to make babies and on a his level you should be ok (if that is what you feel is correct I guess what I am saying is letting him know when it is ok to act apon the info at hand)...no matter how uncomfortable. I think when they start asking question they are ready to understand at a certain level. you have to choose they way you tell it. I say pray and go from there...good luck...

Jeanna GT said...

um, yeah, going thru the same issues with my Jos.... hmm, good thoughts from your friends! let me know how that goes!!!

Stacey said...

You can have the talk but keep it at a level that is appropriate for his age. For myself, our school did sex ed in grade 3.

As for the dog, lots of people want puppies. Or, if your dog is still early in the pregnancy, you can get her aborted and have her fixed.

dogs are easier to place than cats. Are you going to spay her after she gives birth? I think you'd be wise to do so if only to prevent this from happening again.

For adoption, you can check out rescue groups in your area. There's a great site called http://www.petfinder.com where rescues are posted for adoption. You can also find local pet rescue groups through there and get the word out about the puppies.

Stacey said...

p.s. purebreds are really overrated. overbreeding makes them more prone to medical conditions or bad temperments. I love mutts. :)

Deb Williams said...

I really want one of your dogs...if they are from your little one...I would sneak her into my appartment! We are not supposed to have dogs but I see people with little lap dogs in here all the time...heck some of them are smaller than cats any way!

my--four--sons said...

Our little Bailey is fixed. Sorry it's the big ole' lab. We are going to have our hands full with her litter.

Dee said...

I have no advice on this one. My mom took me to the library when my niece was born and checked out a couple of books on the subject. I read the books and then asked her my questions after reading the books. It really was good because neither one of us go embarrassed.

Deb Williams said...

that is an interesting way to do it! never thought of that!

Holly said...

LOL! I love that you called your dog a "tramp!"